Wednesday, July 2, 2014

My last post...


Since our blog has kind of "blown up" recently and since I've been apart of it since inception I wanted to post our official resignation letter for all to read (attached at the bottom). However, if you did not know, I'm on out annual family vacation time in Branson (that's just how the schedule was already so we kept it as is even though there were some big changes happening). And last night I was doing some talking and listening with God and He gave me a story that was really for me (in other words I wasn't looking for something to blog about just talking with Him about our new found place in life) but the goal of these posts have always been transparency... Something I know you've seen from all our family pastors (if not check them out: Matt Mondays, Sankie Tuesdays, Jweff Wednesdays, Terry Thursdays and Phil Fridays). Thus, I thought I would just share my brief experience with you since this is probably my last post... Enjoy!!

Tonight as Kamp was winding down and folks were headed back to their cabanas for the evening, I found a little hammock to lay in, since my crew was already down. After several minutes and nearly all people gone, I started asking God for a story... something to speak to me like He had so many times over the years at that same spot at Kanakuk... When out of no where a toddler started softly crying "Daddy...Daddy", sounding sad I turned around to see him wandering aimlessly in the dark looking for his daddy. When I saw him I realized he had found his way back to a spot I now remember he and his dad had stood maybe a half hour before. He looked confused wondering why his dad wasn't there anymore. Before I could say anything I heard a man say "Bradly" from just beyond my shoulder. In so doing the little boy looked up to find me and he began to walk over to me, but getting only a few feet before he realized I wasn't his daddy. Though startled he continued to inch in my direction all the while his dad called his name. As we stared at each other I could tell he didn't really hear his name over the noise of the running water and soft music he simply was drawn to something else the resembled his daddy though I could tell in his hesitation he knew better. Finally only a few feet from me he finally heard his name being called by his dad standing just over a bush. His dad had never moved, he simply continued to call him near and watched his son's every move as he learned and connected the dots.

For several years I feel I've been searching for my daddy... I went back to places I know I've seen Him before and even got distracted at different times by things that shared a lot of His characteristics. Tonight God reminded me that he never left but continues to call... Helping me learn new things and grow in new directions all the while watching with anticipation for the moment I see/hear through the stuff and tune in to just Him again. Tonight I was told very clearly that I've been "doing" an awful lot... Things that resemble Him and His will but right now He just wants me to "be" again. To seek His face and voice and to learn to follow only Him through all the chaos. May I have enough courage and faith to just be this week and this year!!

All that to say... Court and I are NOT in a "bad" place we are just in a "new" place (at least for us). Court has said recently that "we have been managing and/or running a hospital for some time now, maybe it's time to check ourselves in for a bit... Maybe even mosey on over to the ICU." That being said (since many of you have asked), we will probably be finding a new church home in this transition also... The first reason being what I just mentioned. We believe after seeking much counsel it would be a very difficult to transition because of the position we've held not just on staff but as a family pastor. The other reason is for the "new guy"... The first church job we accepted had a great youth guy before me and we in fact worked together for a few weeks during the transition. He chose to hang around since he was going back to school and though his intentions were great, it made for a very rough first couple of years. I can not do that to the next guy!

Thus, we reiterate... At this time, we have no intention of moving or taking a job at another church. We simply want to take a season off to rest and be. We love you and can't wait to see you around town and hear all about how things are going.

June 22nd 2014

It’s bittersweet that I stand before you today. Coming to NBC a little over three years ago was a great decision for our family. It was one taken in faith and obedience to God. Sometimes following in obedience to His plan for our lives doesn’t always make sense. However, it is stepping out in obedience and faith in the Lord that we find ourselves once again. It is with great prayer, discussion, and wise counsel that we’ve come to the decision to resign as a Family Pastor at New Beginnings.

We are currently in an integral season for our family and want to take the next year to reign in and refocus, as 12 years of full-time ministry has taken a heavy toll. We feel this year will give us the opportunity to grow, refuel, and restore our family to be used by God in ways we cannot comprehend. My wife came across a quote from Tony Evans, that reads, “You will never know where God wants to take you until you are willing to leave where you are.” I would change the ending for us, to say until you take the first step. Our first step is to resign from vocational ministry for a season. We are given many examples in Scripture where God says, “go” and doesn’t give the details until after the first step is complete. We are confident that the Lord will give us details as we need them on where to go and what to do from here, all we know right now is that we are suppose to step away. To be super clear, we support New Beginnings and had their full support to continue serving here yet still have their blessing as we depart.

Goodbyes are rarely easy and change is usually uncomfortable at first. However, I leave by saying I believe in New Beginnings, I can say without a shadow of a doubt that South Tulsa would feel the difference if this body was gone tomorrow. I believe with passion in the NBFamilies focus and direction, I believe in Reach Out Sundays, the impacts they’ve had on our community and the incredible opportunity for us to BE the Church, I believe in our students and sacrificial leaders as they continue to go deeper and really embrace the discipleship model we hold dear with our D-Groups, I believe in our church staff and can vouch for each one to not only be disciples of Jesus but serving in their unique strengths. I believe God has great things in store for the families in this congregation and look very forward to hearing about it in the future.

We are blessed to have been a part of some really great years at NBC. My hope is that you will continue to grow in your spiritual maturity and use the family model to create an amazing and unique Faith Map full of adventures. Until God calls us elsewhere, we don’t have plans to leave the area, but to make a faith map of our own milestones and adventures for the Berg clan. Thank you for the opportunity to serve alongside you and to help lead you and your families to Jesus. We hope to see you around town and hug your necks.

Radically HIS-
Jeff Berg
Family Pastor of High School

The Bergs
**Follow Jeff, also known as "surgeberg" on: Facebook, Twitter and Instagram

No comments:

Post a Comment